It’s October 1st and Rexburg is buzzing with the splendor and warmth of fall. If you’re wondering what to do this weekend between General Conference sessions, here is a list of activities to help you, “fall,” into the harvest season.
- Go apple picking in the orchards on campus. Conveniently located right behind the Ricks building. The campus orchards supply varieties of apples, perfect for that apple pie your bringing to FHE or that Sunday dinner with that smokin’ guy in your ward.
- Pumpkins are already available at local pumpkin patches. There are some in Sugar City, Idaho Falls, St. Anthony, and Archer. Spend the day surrounded by corn stalks, the smell of apples, and hayrides. Or, if that’s too far to drive, Albertson’s can hook you up with a pumpkin, already selected and perfectly shaped just for you.
Photo from: https://pinewoodestatesmhc.files.wordpress.com/2014/10/pumpkin-patch.jpg
- Since the weather this fall has lingered with the heat of summer, head to the Cocoa Lodge for some pumpkin flavored frozen hot chocolate, then head out to the St. Anthony sand dunes for a bonfire. A classic summer activity with an autumn twist.
Photo from: https://www.facebook.com/Cocoalodgerexburg/photos/pb.493993660708444.-2207520000.1443625370./754986694609138/?type=3&theater
- Find a straw maze and get lost for a few hours with your roommates or FHE group. Go on the weekends for a more haunting experience that will make you glad you brought that second pair of pants.
Photo from: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_NzNMeG7qiwA/TLzAdXMiEmI/AAAAAAAAAiE/wKIL7QsODgY/s1600/DSC03140.JPG
- Go to Porter’s, sit down in the middle of the fall aisles, and embrace the harvest smell, décor, and complimentary caramel dipped apple. There’s no need to buy anything, just walking through the isles is sure to get you in the fall mood. Head across the street for some pumpkin spice hot chocolate from the Cocoa Bean to complete your fall experience.
Photo from: http://portersonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/SAM_1949-620×465.jpg
- Doll yourself up, and take your roommates out for a fun fall photo shoot! There are tons of scenic backdrops in the area to compliment every pair of leggings and boots you own. And you’ll always remember the fall semester you spent in Rexburg.
Photo from: Tyler Shearer Photography
- If you’re looking for a frugal way to celebrate the fall season, head to the Rexburg Animal Shelter, pick your favorite dog, and take it for a walk in the Nature Park. Not only will you make a new friend, but you’ll feel like you’re experiencing fall in Central Park.
Photo from: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_i347L3SOfMk/TParHYLmrCI/AAAAAAAAABY/n1Jc0KsiqfU/s1600/naturepark2.jpg
- Yellowstone National Park is just an hour drive away from Rexburg and is beautiful this time of year. Keep an eye out for free admission days, to keep you from breaking your bank. The next one is set to happen on November 11th.
Photo from: http://traveltherockies.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/Yellowstone-10-177.jpg
- As Halloween approaches, carve your pumpkins while watching only the greatest Halloween movie ever made: Hocus Pocus. Bake the pumpkin seeds, or plant them in the flowerbeds of your apartment complex. Maybe next year you’ll be rolling in pumpkins.
Photo from: http://www.julep.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/Hocus-Pocus.jpg
- Take a trip to the D.I. with your roommates to find everything you need to make your own Halloween costumes, without breaking your bank.
Photo from: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_yIGE_9y3h0o/TM9sYTME7KI/AAAAAAAAAJA/_sHw9HCvAus/s1600/DSC_0948.JPG
- Enter to chase or race in the Zombie Chase Race October 10th. This will help you maintain your summer weight by running off all the pumpkin spice treats you’ve eaten so far, and prepare your waistline for all of that heavenly Halloween candy. Register now and use the code, “rexapt,” for 40% off your registration fee.
Photo from: http://thevillagerex.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/11053480_1634801880138415_243133826843027059_o.jpg